Aggressive animals can be frightening and dangerous. While you won’t be much affected by a rowdy pomeranian, a rottweiler can scare you to death. Even small dogs can cause significant damage if pushed in the wrong direction.
You might have heard owners using CBD for dog aggression. Since it has shown significant benefits, it is popular. Another reason cannabidiol is great for dogs is that it contains non-traceable amounts of THC, so there is no risk of intoxication.
If you want to know some aspects before giving CBD to your canine to calm its aggression, here is the information.
If your dog has anger issues, they might be for several reasons. Below are some forms of aggression that will help you determine their causes.
- Social aggression: when pets are not socialized enough when they are young, they can develop this kind of aggression towards other dogs and strangers.
- Predatory aggression: This behavioral issue in a pet that allows it to behave rudely without any warning. Even a small thing can trigger it to bite anyone.
- Redirected aggression: if your pet is participating in a fight and you are trying to stop it, it may show aggression towards you.
- Territorial aggression: a canine tends to defend its space from intruders. However, some show aggression towards them.
- Fear aggression: when a dog feels threatened or frightened, it might attack the person in front.
- Pain-elicited aggression: if the canine is injured, it might show anger towards the caretaker, assuming they might harm.
- Sex-related aggression: if the canine is not neutered and not allowed to mate, it can show signs of attack.
When your pet displays frustration, you must take it to a professional trainer who understands its behavior. Techniques such as habituation, response substitution, desensitization, counterconditioning, extinction, and shaping can help reduce anger in dogs. However, your veterinarian will also prescribe some medications to calm your canine.
Chemical-based medications for anxiety can cause severe side effects in canines. That is why CBD for dog aggression is more popular. It is safer and provides various benefits. Various studies show that cannabidiol interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain, providing a calming effect. It is vital to consult the veterinarian before administering the oil and educate yourself about it. Also, don’t forget to ask them about the dosage to avoid any issues.
CBD is considered safe for canines. However, consulting a veterinarian is essential. Also, you need to invest in a high-quality oil derived from 100% organic hemp. Knowing the correct dosage is also important, so either follow the instructions mentioned on the label or ask your vet about it.
These are the crucial things to know while giving cannabidiol to your pet. You must research the substance beforehand and find a reputable seller to avoid problems with your dog’s health. Although canines are adorable, they can be dangerous when they become aggressive. It is essential to correct such behavior immediately, and CBD can help achieve it without causing any side effects.