Bed bugs are among the worst pests a person might deal with when in Nevada. They can enter your house undetected, and before you know it, they will be all over your bed and clothes, biting you when you are sleeping. Fortunately, there are many ways you can tackle the issue without even calling Las Vegas pest control services.
If you believe that you might be dealing with bed bugs or simply want to prepare yourself for the future, this article will guide you through the best ways of getting rid of bed bugs. From washing your clothes in hot water and vacuuming your entire house to repairing cracks and cleaning your bedroom area thoroughly, here are some tips to fight bed bugs. But first, we want you to learn how to identify the issue. Let’s get started!
Signs of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs can be found in the crevices of your bed and mattress. They might also crawl around in the morning or evening when you are asleep. In order to confirm your suspicion, you should inspect your bed and furniture thoroughly. Here are some common signs of bed bugs:
- Tiny spots of blood on sheets or clothes — if you see tiny spots of blood on your sheets or clothes, it means that bed bugs have been there. You should definitely check the source of these marks and be prepared to take action to get rid of the pests.
- Tiny brown or black spots on your mattress — sometimes, bed bugs can leave behind their droppings on your mattress. If you find tiny brown or black dots, it is a sign that something has been there. You should check further to ensure that these droppings are not from any other source.
- Burrows — although burrows are not always a definitive sign of the presence of bed bugs, they can be a good indicator of the presence of bed bugs in your area. If you notice small holes in your sheets or mattress, it could be an indication that there are some burrowing pests nearby.
- Smell – some people say that they cannot smell bed bugs, but they probably do not know what the bed bugs’ smell is. Some people claim that bed bug smell is similar to that of mothballs but with a musky tone. However, if you think that you detect the smell of bed bugs or something that resembles mothballs, you should be extra careful.
Sometimes, the odor can be mistaken for that of other household pests such as mice or cockroaches, but if this smell is accompanied by any other signs (see above), then it is likely you have bed bugs in your house.
Bed Bug Bites
Bed bug bites usually appear in clusters or groups. The rash is usually itchy and red. Sometimes, the rash does not appear at all, and you might notice the bugs themselves. However, bed bug bites can look like mosquito bites, so you should also check for other signs to confirm your suspicion.
As soon as you see the first bed bug bites on your skin, do not wait! Instead, start applying the following methods immediately. As you will learn later, there are many ways of getting rid of bed bugs and, if you do not act quickly, they will multiply rapidly and invade your whole house.
Preventing Bed Bugs Infestation
If you want to prevent a bed bug infestation and keep them out of your house completely, there are some steps that can guide you through the process:
- Do not buy second-hand furniture — bed bugs can easily enter your home in pieces of second-hand furniture. Scrutinize all the items you plan to get, especially mattresses and other soft furnishings.
- Wash your clothes regularly — bed bugs can hide in your clothes (even if they are placed in a drier), so it is important to wash them thoroughly in hot water. If you don’t have a drier, you can dry your clothes in the sun. This will kill bed bugs that might have been hiding inside.
- Vacuum regularly — it is very important to vacuum regularly because this will remove any eggs or larvae which might be in your house. Vacuuming will also remove problem spots where bed bugs might have been hiding.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs?
Now that you know how to identify the problem and prevent it from spreading, you need to know how to get rid of the pests completely. Here are some techniques you can use:
- Wash your clothes with hot water — as mentioned earlier, washing your clothes with hot water will help get rid of bed bug eggs and larvae, which might be hiding there. Also, if you use a dryer on high heat for at least 20 minutes, it will kill all the pests on contact.
- Inspect your house — when you notice bed bug bites or any other signs of bed bug infestation, inspect your house thoroughly. Check all the cracks and crevices where bed bugs can hide.
- Repair the cracks in your walls — bed bugs can easily get into your home through small cracks in your wall. Make sure that your house is sealed properly by using caulk or plaster, and don’t forget to check for any cracks in your windows!
- Use pest control insecticides — there are many insecticides that will kill bed bugs on contact. However, it is best to consult a professional before applying any chemicals in your house.
When it comes to getting rid of bed bugs, it is very important to act quickly. The sooner you notice the issue, the better. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to get rid of the bed bugs completely. In order to do this, you should follow the advice we have provided above.
Wash your clothes with hot water, vacuum regularly, and be sure to check for tiny spots of blood on your sheets. In addition, inspect your house thoroughly and repair any cracks in your walls. If these techniques don’t work, you should hire a professional who will help you with the issue.