There are many reasons why home improvements are a must for homeowners. For example, they are a great way to increase the value of your property or simply make your house feel more like home. However, unless you’ve got an interior design degree under your belt, it can also be hard to know where to start when it comes to renovations in all areas of your home, such as your living room or lounge area.
While not as functional as your kitchen or bedroom, your living room is one of the most important areas in your home. It’s often the primary social place – where you will spend time together as a family or entertain any guests and visitors. As a result, it’s a space deserving of some TLC.
With that in mind, here are some simple tips that you can use to transform your living room.
- Draw up some designs. The first step to designing the perfect living room is to put your ideas or visions down on paper (or your computer screen). This is because it will make it easier to visualize how you want the space to look and the steps you need to take to achieve this goal. If you aren’t much of an artist, don’t worry, you can use room design websites to do the hard work for you.
- Put together a budget. Once you’ve got a plan in mind for your dream living room, it’s time to start thinking about how much money you’re going to spend. After all, the last thing you want to do is overspend and end up in debt that you cannot quickly repay. As a result, you should ensure that putting together a budget is one of the first things you do. If your current funds don’t match your budget, try to withhold from decorating for a little while so that you can save some money.
- Look into color theory. While you may already have a specific theme in mind for your living room, you should also pay close attention to the colors you use to decorate the space. Not only will this help you to design a room that looks cohesive – where all furniture and decorations are matching, the colorus featured within your home can also have an impact on your mood. This is known as color theory and refers to how specific colors can impact our subconscious thoughts. For example, pastel shades are known for having a calming effect.
- Do a lot with a little. Home transformations do not always need to be drastic – and in fact, small changes can often go a long way in altering the way your living room looks and feels. For example, instead of replacing all of your furniture, you can find creative ways to decorate with flowers and plants. Not only is this a relatively inexpensive renovation task, but it’s also a great way to bring a little more color into your home and can once again be a great way to lift your mood and spirits.
- Hang shutters. Access to natural lighting has a significant impact on your home, as natural light can make even the smallest of rooms seem bigger and brighter. One way in which you can ensure the sun is always shining in your home is by installing shutters, such as those offered by Shuttercraft. Not only do they look great, but they’re perfect for those who are looking to finish up their living room in an elegant and stylish manner.
- Make the room your own. Your living room should reflect your personality – meaning that it’s important you find a way to add a personal touch to the space. Otherwise, the room may begin to feel unhomely and unwelcoming – which is the last place you’ll want to kick back and watch the latest Netflix series in. One way in which you can achieve this goal is by creating a gallery wall in your home featuring your favorite family photographs. You could also take this as an opportunity to create your own paintings.
- Make a statement. Another way you can truly transform your living room for the better is by finding a way to make a statement. For example, if you’re looking for something a little more unique – why not ditch your old, outdated sofa and create a pallet sofa instead? DIY-ing furniture is also a great way to save money, as buying materials as opposed to furniture is often much cheaper.
- Visit your local thrift store. Buying furniture second-hand is also a great way to save money while still creating the room of your dreams. As a result, before you start doing any online shopping, you should check out local thrift or second-hand stores to see if you can spot some hidden gems. Remember, if the furniture is not in the best condition you can always carry out some minor repairs and improvements yourself so that they look good as new again in no time at all. For example, chairs that are looking a little worse for wear can be reupholstered.
- Think about lighting. Lighting is everything when it comes to creating a living room that feels warm, relaxing, and homely. As a result, it’s vital that you don’t skip over this process and think carefully about the kind of lights you want to display in your home. Again, this doesn’t mean you need to fork out thousands on a crystal chandelier, as you can DIY them. This way, you can bring the effortless class and sophistication of a chandelier into your home – without the price tag.
In short, there are various ways in which you can go about transforming your living room and bringing your inner interior decorator to life. However, the most important thing to remember is that you should just have fun with it. Be creative, don’t worry about how others will think, and design a room that matches your own tastes and interests. This is the best way to ensure you will always feel at home!